Friday, October 05, 2012

Using keyboard shortcuts on Mobipocket Reader for BlackBerry

My BlackBerry Storm went swimming (in a bowl of cereal) on July 11 this year, and I didn't get it fixed until Tuesday. Since then, I've been yet to subscribe to any BlackBerry Internet Service. One of the downsides of that is that Kindle for BlackBerry, which I use for reading books on the Storm (one of the very few apps of the kind on that platform) needs to connect to the internet to work. No BIS, no internet.

So, being the partial bibliophile that I sometimes pretend to be, I needed to get an alternative, pending when I decide to subscribe again. Mobipocket for BlackBerry, which I've used before, is an excellent app. Unfortunately, since Amazon bought Mobipocket, the software/site hasn't been updated, and even the beta version of Mobipocket Reader for touchscreen BlackBerry devices is no longer available. I was able to get a version of Mobipocket Reader, but it's not for touchscreen devices.

The good news, though, is that the keyboard shortcuts for Mobipocket Reader still work with this version, even though you have to reduce your reading area by keeping the on-screen keyboard on. The most important shortcuts:

  • p or space advances a page.
  • o goes back a page.

A list of all keyboard shortcuts for Mobipocket Reader for BlackBerry can be found here.

No comments: