Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Water under the bridge

quite a bit has happened in my life since i last updated this rag. no time to talk about the whole of it, though. i simply want to resume blogging. even if i blog nonsense.

talking about nonsense, isn't GMail the coolest? though i'm concerned that it's reading my email...

God is watching...

The children were lined up in the cafeteria of a Catholic elementary school for lunch. At the head of the table was a large pile of apples.

The nun made a note and posted on the apple tray: "Take only ONE. God is watching."

Moving further along the lunch line, at the other end of the table was a large pile of chocolate chip cookies.

A child had written a note, "Take all you want. God is watching the apples."

Staff or slave?

And a little gem i picked up wandering about and not minding my business in the office:

Dear Employer.
I work in your organization and you dictate:

  • The time I get out of bed
  • The time I get to work
  • The kind of clothes I put on
  • The environment in which I work
  • The time I should go for lunch
  • My spending power vis-à-vis my lifestyle
  • When I should go on vacation
  • The number of hours I spend with my family
  • The days I can visits my parents
  • The time I can spend with my friends
  • The kind of haircut and beards I must put on
  • The kind of seminars and trainings I am allowed to partake in
  • The kind of people I spend the greater part of my life with (you cage me with some strangers and call them my colleagues)
  • When I am entitled to "improve my lifestyle" by increasing my income
  • When I should think and what my dominant thoughts should be
  • My geographical location and where I should reside
  • The time I ought to be reasonable enough to jump in bed to sleep
  • And gosh! When I should even sleep with my girlfriend!

Anyway, I thank you for:

  • A guaranteed monthly pay check to fend for my children, parents and siblings
  • Guaranteed medicals for my family
  • Opportunity to visit places I never thought I could visit on my own
  • Putting me off the street and not being labeled as unemployed
  • The prestige I have earned in my neighborhood
  • The opportunity to meet people (colleague and superior) I ordinarily might not have met so easily on my own (my contacts)
  • The insight to learn how a big organization like yours is being run
  • The opportunity to build a capital base to start my own business
  • The opportunity to study human behavior to enable me manage my future employees
  • curbing my excesses especially my “boozing habit” but for the long hours I spent at work, I would have become an alcoholic
  • The knowledge imparted in me when you send me on trainings
  • The freebies that could have eroded my income; phone calls, internet access e.t.c
  • The beautiful lady that sits close to me that I look forward to seeing everyday at work and who might eventually become my wife

At this point, I am confused; should I THANK YOU or CURSE YOU?

Food for thought. Anyway, to ba ka e l'ara to, wa'a wa nkan she si. Laters

No comments: